The lower back is the area of the spine between the bottom of the ribs and the pelvis. There are five movable lumbar vertebrae with discs in between them. They are supported by strong surrounding muscles and ligaments with spinal nerves existing between each of the vertebrae. The pelvis articulates with the spine and provides additional stability and support for the spine. All of these structures combine to make your body into a strong but flexible structure, allowing you mobility while protecting the spinal cord and nerves.
Low back pain is a very common problem – statistics show that 8 out of 10 Australians suffer from back pain at some time. It can be so painful that becomes extremely debilitating. Back pain is one of the most common reasons patients come to Chiropractors for help.
Research has found that chiropractic care has the following benefits, compared to conventional treatment options:
- Decrease in pain relief medication use
- Faster recovery times
- Significant improvement in back pain symptoms
- Significant improvement in physical activity tolerance
Chiropractors have found that patients who have had multiple episodes of acute low back pain find that over time these episodes can get more frequent, last longer and sometimes the pain will never completely be gone. Chiropractors believe that it is important to have a quality treatment program that addresses the movement of the spine to restore normal muscle control and function and try to prevent further episodes of acute low back pain.
Treatment may include:
- Ice/Cold therapy
- Therapeutic Exercises
- Stretching tight muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments
- Core stability exercises to improve bracing muscles
- Teaching and prescription of a home exercise program to assist in recovery and prevent re-occurrence
- Spinal adjustments
- Pelvic alignment techniques
- Dry needling
- Trigger point therapy
- Instruction in proper body mechanics during bending, lifting and carrying heavy objects
- Ergonomic adjustments in the work place
Maintaining proper spinal function, staying active and with the help of beneficial chiropractic treatment may well be the best solution for your Acute Low Back Pain.